Tandoori Chicken



Okay, granted this is not at all how a typical Tandoori Chicken would look like, given that it's cooked in a clay vessel and appears slightly dry compared to mine which was roasted whole, in an oven and appears very moist with gravy all over..
Well since I only got the marinating part right, I must say it tasted really good. Perhaps I should have chopped the chicken to a larger chunk and that would made it easier for me to flip it around to baste in its juice. 
Anywho, this version of tandoori chicken is great, I never did like the original style as it is too dry for my liking. 
So if you folks like my version of moist chicken, here's how I did it. 


1 whole bird  about 1.8 kg- chopped to 8 pieces would be ideal. Make shallow cuts on the chicken. 

Ingredients  To Marinate
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 cup vinegar
chopped finely -1 large onion, 5 cloves garlic, 1in ginger
1 tsp coriander seed -grounded 
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
juice of one lime
2-3 drops of red food coloring

Blend the marinate ingredients until a smooth paste and run the paste all over the bird. Place the bird in a large pot and cover.  I sprinkled the bird with some dry rosemary spikes.  Let it sit for a whole day in the fridge.

Roast the chicken in an oven heated to 175 deg cel for about 11/2 hours. Baste it occasionally with the gravy and with butter at the end.
You want to cover the chicken with a foil to avoid charring it like mine.




Serve hot. I pared the chicken with tomato rice (link below) and some cucumber raita, which was just great. 


Enjoy..Jue

Comments

Popular Posts