Rice Pudding


I've never eaten nor cooked a sweet version of rice before, so when I chanced upon it in an old recipe book, I decided to give it a go. I remember my late mum would prepare this pud for breakfast.
I love it but can't say much with the rest at home...less people more share. 
I've simplified this recipe since the original one is a bit complicated and enough to feed a whole village, the measures below are for a small portion.

A
50g of mung bean
50g channa dhall aka Australian dhall
pinch of salt 
2 cups of water

B
1 cup of fresh milk
2 cups of cooked rice (left over rice)
200g of Jaggery (Indian brown sugar)

C
2 tbs of ghee
handful of cashew nuts and yellow raisins
1 pod of cardamom 

In a pot over medium heat, place A and cook till the beans or rather the dhalls are done. Not too mushy. 
Add B into the pot and give it a good stir. Add some water if it gets too thick. Cook until the rice is slightly mushy.
In a small pan add C and toss the cashew and raisins till golden brown. Pour the content into the pot and stir well. Check for the sweetness.
Remove from the heat and serve hot. You may also serve this chilled and it taste great the next day. I hope you would try this dish and like it.


Enjoy...Jue

Comments

Popular Posts