Ketti Urundai









Ketti Urundai or if translated directly means hard ball, cos it literally means that!
If you are wondering what sorta stone David used on Goliath to knock him dead, well this hard ball is not far off!

This is one of my favorite childhood snack, I would die just to eat this. Unfortunately that was the last time I had this hard-balls, since these days no one fancy having their teeth knocked off while trying to nibble on it.
I couldn't hide my joy when I stumble upon a video on you tube and here we are, the good ole me, rushed into it.

Call me crazy, (that's what my sister said), I did this hard ball snack three times, yes three times and happily nibbled on it; I haven't chipped my front tooth... yet!

I did it three times cos I was experimenting which version I love the most. 
The first pic is store bought pre-mix, so I can't say much and I would rate it 7 over 10.

The second pic, I ground the ingredients my self, using more rice flour compared to green peas flour. The verdict is 9 over 10.

Next, the third pic,  I reversed the portion, more green peas flour to rice. I rate it 6/10.

I leave it to you to figure which ratio you love best.
All the ingredients are available in any Indian grocer, if you find it a pain searching for the ingredients, then grab a pre-mix packet.

A
Green Gram – 3 cup
Rice  ( not basmati or Thai) – 1 cup
Cardamom powder  ( you can lessen it ) – 1 teaspoon
Dry Ginger Powder, its known as suku if I'm not mistaken– 1/2 teaspoon

B
Chutney dhal (Pottu kadalai) – 1 cup
Peanuts or cashew nuts - toasted and cut into small bits  - 1/4 cup
Coconut – cut into small bits – 1/2 cup
Black sesame seed - 2 tbs

Jaggery – 2 cups


In a pan, over slow heat add the green gram and dry fry till it turns pale in colour.  Set it aside. Fry the rice till it turns light brown and keep it aside.

In the same pan add the dhal and fry for two to three minutes. Keep it aside. Then put the coconut bits and fry till it turns its colour. Do the same for the sesame seed.

In a coffee grinder, put in small quantities ingredient  A, and grind to a semi fine powder. Put this powder in a broad  bowl.  Set aside 1/2 cup of flour.

Add B to the flour. Mix the contents thoroughly.

Chop the jaggery and add to a heavy bottomed pan with 1/2 cup water. When it starts boiling, take it out and drain any impurities. Keep the drained jaggery on the stove and make a thick syrup. Keep the stove in low flame.

Mind you, at this point the sugar syrup is pretty hot and you gotta have asbestos  palms to handle the heat.

Scoop a ladle of syrup and pour over the mixed floor, just at the edge, mix it by using a spoon. Make a golf size balls by squeezing it firmly.  Finish the rest. Store in a air tight container but in my case, that won't be necessary 😅.

You're done. 
Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts