Apam Balik


Back in the days this kueh, known as Apam Balik was our most sort after favorite snack. 

I use to save my pocket money and rush to this little makeshift stall run by a Malay makcik with a wide array of mouthwatering kuehs. 
Despite the daunting task of picking a kueh, I would always end up with this Apam Balik or sometimes I'll go with the crispy version.  

I don't know what made me to try making this kueh, nevertheless I did. The home folks too were a little skeptical when I told them I'm making  this. (Huh..so much for some confidence in me).

This batter makes two 7in pancake. Double the recipe for more. I definitely doubled mine. 

130g plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp instant yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg
160ml water (lukewarm)


Toppings - I'll leave the amount to you

roasted ground peanuts
sugar
cream corn - optional

In a large mixing bowl,  sift together self-raising flour with baking soda, add the rest of the ingredients , mixing well until the batter is smooth.

Cover the bowl and let it sit for half an hour.  You'll notice the batter begins to bubble up.






Spray oil to a non stick pan on low heat and spread evenly with paper towel.
After pan is heated evenly, add batter about two ladle full, cover and cook for 4 mins.

Add peanut and sugar, cover and cook for another 2 mins. 
Fold into half with spatula.



Cut into serving size and serve warm. 
Enjoy...jue
recipe from the meatman

Comments

Popular Posts