Crab Curry


I couldn't resist these sea crabs at the market this morning, probably because  it has been ages since I cracked into one. The one dish  I always love making is this Spicy Crab Curry that never fails to burst our palate. 
I was told that the curry taste even better the next day but we never had the change to test that theory out.  In my house its good to the last drop as we serve, I'll be lucky to hope for any leftovers, so I can't vouch to that. 

2 kg of blue crabs - about 8 pieces
Shelled and cleaned. Cut into two.


(A)
3 tablespoons  oil
2 large red onions
5 cloves garlic - pounded
1 thumb peeled ginger- pounded (about 2 inches)
5 cloves
1 stick cinnamon
3 sprig curry leaves

(B)

5 cups of water
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tbs chili powder - add according to your taste
4 tbs fish curry powder
salt to taste
(C)
1 cup coconut milk3 medium sized tomatoes- quartered4 green chilies - slit 
1 brinjals - quartered

In a large wok, heat the oil and saute (A). Put the spices in first.
Saute till the onions are tender.

Add (B) and give it a good mix, lower the heat and cover the pot for about 10 minutes.
Add the crabs and mix well.  If the gravy has reduced,* top up another cup of water.  
Bring to a gentle simmer and add (C) cook till the vegetable are tender and check for seasonings.

If you like a thicker version then hold on to the * cup of water. I prefer the thicker version myself. 


Serve hot with warm rice and raita, (see below for the recipe). Do smuggle some curry to test  it out the next day.
Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts