Irish Soda Bread


Been contemplating to make this bread for a while now, though am totally clueless how it's going to turn out.
A quick readup on this bread... I notice some recipe call for raisins in it  and the use of buttermilk but I opt for a plain one and  I used milk.  Mind you, I've already got a No from the home folks to skip this one. 
Anyway, I went ahead and made it when no one was home. (that's what I normally do when I want to bake something that's been  rejected by the council). 
I know that I have to eat it all up by myself if no one wants it! Let's see how this bread will fare.

Ok the verdict: I liked it. I though it was going to be hard and crusty but to my surprise it was pretty soft inside and its best served warm. ( 1 microwaved it just to warm it a little). It sorta taste like a hard cake. Recipe taken from Alex Goh's book.

A
280g plain flour
1/2 tsp sodium bicarbonate
3/4 tsp cream of  tartar
B
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
C
200g butter
200ml milk

Sieve A in a large bowl. Add B and give it a good mix. Add the butter and rub the fat till it resembles to crumbs. Gently pour the milk into the crumb and knead it till the dough is pliable.
Shape the dough into a ball and roll it in a lightly floured surface.
Grease your baking pan. Put the dough ball in and gently press it flat just a little. Dust some flour over it and with a sharp knife cut a X  or Z if you're an ardent  Zorro fan!!
Bake in a preheated oven of 200 degree cel. for about 35 min. When you tap the bread you would hear a hollow sound. Best served hot with a dollop of butter and jam. 

Enjoy and happy baking .....jue

Comments

Popular Posts