Lamington


Been meaning to make this yummy petite for so long that I almost forgot about it.
It only hit me when I made butter cake the other day and had some left-overs, and I happily turned it into this beauty.

Do try, it's so easy to put it together and makes a great tea time treat.

Use your favorite butter cake and cut it into small squares and set it aside. It would be great if your cake is a couple of days old, I find the flavor develops beautifully and the cake is not too crumbly.

I used Hawaiian shredded coconut since I did not have the regular desiccated one, so I blitz it a bit.
 
Chocolate frosting:
4 oz (120 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tbsp (45 mL) Butter
1/2 cup (125 mL) Milk
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sifted icing sugar
1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) sifted cocoa powder
2 cups (500 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut

Melt the chocolate and butter in the milk in a double-boiler .
Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Thin with a little boiling water if needed.

With a cocktail stick, spear the bottom of one piece of cake. Use a spoon to quickly apply a thin coat of frosting to the top, bottom and sides. 

Gently press the top and sides into the coconut to cover. Slide the cake off the stick with the knife and use your hands to dip the bottom in the coconut.

Place cakes on a wire rack and let sit until the frosting firms up a bit.

Serve the cake at room temperature. Left over cakes can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days.

Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts