Ginger Snaps with whole wheat flour


Ginger snaps has always been one of my favorite cookie but I'm still finding "the one" that I can truly say, "this is it".  I was quite intrigued  when it called for whole wheat flour and jumped into it.  The only adjustment I made was adding a wee bit more molasses.

My say: It lacks the burning ginger punch that I was looking forward and the cookie was crisp enough. But overall it's a good bake.

1 cup brown sugar 
1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely grated 
2 tablespoons ground ginger 
1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
A few cracks of black pepper 
170 g unsalted butter 
1/4 cup sorghum or unsulphured molasses, not blackstrap
1 large egg, cold
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour - I used with some husk in it

Raw or granulated sugar for finishing
Preheat oven preheat to 350°F (175°C)

Combine sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, gingers, vanilla, pepper, butter and molasses in the bowl.
Using a wooden spoon beat until fluffy, pale tan, and soft, about 5 minutes. 

Add egg and beat until smooth, sprinkle in flour, and continue until a soft dough is formed. 
I left my dough in the fridge for 10 min to firm it  bit.

I used a small ice cream scoop to get a even cookie. Roll smooth and round, tumble in a dish with raw or granulated sugar, and arrange on prepared sheet pans, leaving 2 inches in between. 

                                 

Bake until puffed  about 22 minutes. Cool on sheet pan  gingersnaps will not be crisp inside. Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 3 weeks at room temperature.

Enjoy...jue
recipe from serious Eats

Comments

Popular Posts