Tau Sa Piah





Man, my critics had a field day with this Tau Sa Piah (Mung bean with chinese flacky pastry) I made over the weekend. Of course their benchmark was the ever famous Tambun pastry. 
Obviously there's no way I could even match that, nonetheless I went ahead and jumped into the shark infested sea ...okay I got chewed, since it was the husbands favorite pastry. 

Anyway, I sorta know where I fell short. The recipe says to steam the mung bean and me being the genius boiled it, which made the bean too moist, thus making the filling a bit paste-y unlike the store bought one which is so powdery.
Lesson learned.

Other than that it was perfect...ahem, according to me. I would definitely give this another try to rectify my mistake...probably in a far far distant future. But you, please go ahed and give this a try...just remember to steam the darn beans!


Filling:
200g mung beans
125g sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
5 shallots (sliced thinly)
50g cooking oil




Water Dough (A):
120g all-purpose flour
20g sugar
35ml  shortening
65 ml water

1/4 tsp maltose or honey if you don't have

Oil Dough (B):
100g all-purpose flour
60g shortening

Egg wash: 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water/milk
Some white and black sesame seeds

                                          


To prepare the mung bean filling:

Wash and soak mung beans in water for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain well and steam at medium heat for 40 minutes till soft.

In the meantime, fry the shallots with oil till fragrant and golden brown. Remove from wok and crash the fried shallot with spoon or hand. Set aside.

Mash the steamed mung beans till very fine while still hot. Add brown sugar, salt, pepper and fried shallots (plus the oil) and mix well.

Divide the filling into 25g portions and shape into a ball.


                                       

To make the Tau Sar Piah: 

Please refer to my pictures in my siew pau post (link below) to see how to roll both the doughs.


Roll skin into think rounds, wrap up 1 part of filling and form into a ball, making sure the seams are tucked tight 
and arrange onto a baking tray. 
Brush with egg wash, leave till almost dry and brush again with egg wash. Lastly sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for around 30 minutes till golden brown.


Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts