Wheat and Sugar Free Banana Cake

                  
Would you believe that this cake is wheat free and sugar free? 
I couldn't myself until I tried and now I'm hooked. I originally experiment this cake for my niece who's on a wheat and sugar free diet and she loved it. 
The oat flour was brilliant idea.  If you can't get hold of one, just blend your cooking oats (that's what I did).  As for the sugar, I doubled the amount of bananas the recipe called for.

Now it's my 'must have cake'. This is working out just fine now that  I've stopped eating wheat, (err...no not stopped but cutting down wheat bakes)  I've been experimenting with wheat free bakes and I must say it's been quite a challenge to find  a good substitute for flour.

All  I have right now are some rice flour, oats and almond/hazelnut meal in my pantry. I'm not complaining but it works for me.  

The only complain is that the cake doesn't give a good rise since these flours lack gluten (a protein found in wheat)  and it can be difficult for them to retain its shape when they rise up as they are less fluffy. 
I read about additives such as xanthtum gum used to compensate for the lack of gluten but  I'm not too comfortable using them.

 I recreated my favorite banana cake using oat flour . Expecting for the worst and not really knowing the science of raising agent, I added a wee bit extra baking powder to help the cake rise but thankfully  the cake  didn't have the bitter metallic taste. I was happy with the decent rise and the cake was moist and fluffy.  
Mission accomplished!



I made the cake above with wheat flour and sugar for the rest of the family, mind you it's my to die for cake. You can see the difference how well it has risen and the fluffy texture.

Please refer to my banana cake recipe below for the link.

Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts