Ulunthu Vadai



I'm going native today with Ulundu vadai, a savory South Indian  sorta doughnut, packed with  green chili and onions.  

Ulundu (in Tamil) is called urad dhall,  ie white lentil with its black skin removed. 
I love this as a snack, best eaten with dhall curry or coconut chutney, but I prefer it as it is...piping hot with some chicken curry.

Shaping this vadai (with the hole in the middle) requires some skill  and speed which I sorely lack, but I pulled through given  some oil  splashes on my wrist. (I'm so not doing this again). I suppose it's all worth it when I sink my teeth in it. 

 here's how to do it.


 2 cup  Urad dall
 1 cup rice

finely chop
 1  Green chillies
5 Small onion
10 Curry leaves

1 tsp fennel seed - slightly crushed
1 tsp Pepper 
Salt - to taste



   
Soak the dhall and rice in water for about 4 hours, drain completely.  Put the dhall and rice  in a blender. Here's the tricky bit, you need to blend it with as little water as possible. I usually  sprinkle very little water  as I blend, until the  mixture is blended.  
Note: be prepared for your blender to struggle a bit.

The batter should not be a smooth consistency or runny but  paste like.
Scrape  the batter  into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and keep aside.
The batter should be thick at this point. See the pic above. Heat oil in a frying pan.



Take a polythene sheet slightly greased with a drop of oil, NOT WATER.  
Wet right hand, then make a small ball out of the batter and pat it on the  cover. Now make a hole in the middle and carefully transfer it to the wok. This is the dangerous bit, if your hand is too wet, you know the rest, so please be careful.

Note: if your batter is runny, then there is no way you can form a ball and poke a hole. If that happens  put 1 -2 tsp of rice flour and give it a good mix, that should firm up the batter.

Fry the vadai in medium flame, turn over to other side once it  turns golden brown.  Take out and drain it in a tissue once it becomes golden brown on both sides.
Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts