Doughnut


I'm not a doughnut fan.
Nope. 
I loathe deep frying my food.
And I hate  sprinkling sugar over anything.
Yet...all the above changed.

Something in Paul Hollywood's jam doughnut recipe got me to try, perhaps watching British Bake Off...I dunno.  
I must say this is the best doughnut I've tasted and  would definitely make em again and again. 
I was surprised how soft and fluffy the doughnut were unlike the store bought ones which are rock hard and ridiculously  sweet. 
Even my worst critic gave me a 10! (He normally stay at 6).

I simply dust the buns lightly in caster sugar and cinnamon  and fill the rest with jam and dipped a couple in melted chocolate and sprinkled with toasted almonds.



For the dough
500g bread flour
50g caster sugar
40g butter
2 eggs
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
150ml warm milk
130ml  water 

For the dough, place all ingredients into a large bowl holding back a quarter of the water.
Stir with your hands until a dough is formed. 
Slowly add the remaining water and knead the dough in the bowl for four minutes. (Alternatively, you could mix with a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook). 
Tip dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a clean bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for an hour. 

Tip the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface, and knock it back by kneading it a few times. 
Divide the dough into 20 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.

Place all balls onto a floured baking tray and allow to rise for an hour. 

Preheat a deep fat fryer, filled with sunflower oil, to 180C/350.

I dip my finger in oil, no not the hot oil., gently poke a hole in the middle with my finger and drop three or four doughnut into the fryer, cooking each side for about five minutes or until golden brown.
If you're making jam doughnut then simply place the dough in the fryer.


Remove the doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and immediately roll in caster sugar so that the hot fat makes the sugar stick to the sides.  Set aside and leave to cool.
  • When completely cool, using a small, sharp, knife make a cut into the side of the doughnut, reaching  to the centre.
  • Spoon some smooth or sieved strawberry jam into a piping bag, or piping syringe.
  • Pipe, or syringe, the jam generously inside.
  • Enjoy...jue

    Comments

    Popular Posts