Chicken Paratel # 1


Whenever  I need  to cook Chicken Paratel  I just go without a plan,  just throw in whatever ingredient or spices that's available in the pantry. Great move ha!
The trouble is, when  the home folks praise me for that  particular delicious dish and ask to cook it again, that's where I  draw a blank cos I can't remember what I added...short term memory lost. Told ya it was a great move.
Anywho, today I decided to blog this dish...let's just say for the perseverance of my sanity and for future references, I shall #.

1 fairly size chicken - mine is skinless and cut into small pieces

Blended Ingredients
3 shallots
2in ginger
2in fresh turmeric
1 serai - sliced
candle-nuts

A
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
1/2 tsp anise seed
3 sprig curry leaves

B
1 heap tbs curry powder
2 heap tbs chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper 


2 tomatoes quartered
2 green chili - slit
2 large  potatoes - cut into small pieces - I used russet.
5 medium onions - sliced

In a heated wok, pour about 5 tbs of oil  add A and stir for 30 seconds, then  add the blended ingredients. Gently simmer until you see the oil is separated. 

Add B and give it a good stir for a minute.

Add the chicken and 2 cups of water. Mix thoroughly and  keep the flame slightly down. Cover the wok and let it cook for about 20 minutes.

In the meantime fry the onion and set aside.
Fry the potato and set aside.

When you  open the cover you would see the wet gravy, add the tomato  and chili and mix well. Turn the heat up and from this point you need to keep stirring until the gravy dries up.

## This is a dry style paratel...if you wish your paratel to be a little saucier then add some water at this point, perhaps half a cup.

Add the potato and continue mixing.
Now add the onion. I forgot to add the curry leaves, so do it now.





Check for seasoning, if its okay then its gone. I like to add two tablespoon of dark soy sauce at this point, just to give a charred look. 
Love to garnish it with coriander leaves BUT the home-folks do not approve. Don't ask me why.

Serve chicken with Briyani rice and Cucumber Raita, those are my favorite combo. 
See below for the recipes.

Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts