Kimchi



Ever since I fell in love with Korean food I find myself  loving Kimchi and  been forking up good money for a bag, but often time find the veg too sour and limp. 


So the good ol' me  decide to make some myself. 
I had to search numerous you tube videos and meander through sites to teach myself how to make some..the simple way. 

Then comes the next hurdle, finding the Korean chili flakes, and when I did find it, it comes in huge bag! Problem solved when a good  Korean friend of mine gave me some ( after listening to my blah blah blahs).
Let's start,

1 big (napa) cabbage 1 1/2 kg
1 carrot
1 radish
3 leeks
1 scallion

1/3 cup garlic
1/3 chop onions
1 knob ginger

1/3 cup fish sauce
3/4 cup korean chili flakes

1/4 cup sweet rice flour with 1 cup water and 
2-3 tbs sugar

Steps:
Cut napa cabbage into chunks
Soak in 1/3 cup salt for 1.5 hours
Drain and wash away salt




Combine 1/4 cup sweet rice flour with 1 cup water and 2-3 tbs sugar

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until a gooey paste is formed




To a blender, add 1/3 cup garlic, 1 knob ginger, 1 scallion, 1/3 cup fish sauce and 
Blend into a fine paste
Combine both paste

Add 3/4 cup korean chili flakes

Julienne carrot and radish, cut leeks into chunks


Add to chili paste
Mix well and add the mixture to napa cabbage



Store in an air-tight container
Leave it for a day outside and enjoy the next day. Keep the container in the fridge.

Feel free to half the quantity. It keeps fairy well, mine's been in the fridge for about ten days already and it looks fine...though I am struggling to finish mine...but hey, who's complaining.

Enjoy...jue
adapted from mangachi

Comments

Popular Posts