Orange and poppy seed syrup cake



I was a bit apprehensive to try this cake since I've never baked cake with poppy seed before.

The only time I use poppy seed also known as kas-kas is when I cook chicken, apparently it enhances the flavor of the curry.

Flavor-wise, I really think orange really pairs well with poppy seed.  Gives a nice kick to the cake...literally, 
I must say I felt a wee bit tipsy after the third slice...I suppose the opium was kicking in!  Love the crunchy bits and the slight nutty flavor.

If you are participating in any sporting event at any time after enjoying a slice, do keep in mind that you may test positive for banned opiate substances like morphine...

*For the syrup I omit the water and used only 1/4 of the sugar  with the juice of 2 oranges since I don't like the cake too sweet.

* I saved some poppy seed and sprinkled it on top of the cake with some sugar just before I put the cake pan into the oven. It gives a nice crusty bite.
                              


1/3 cup(50g) poppy seeds
1/4 cup(60ml) milk
185 gbutter, softened
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
1 cup(220g) caster (superfine) sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups(225g) self-raising flour
1/2 cup(75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
1/2 cup(60g) ground almonds
1/2 cup(125ml) orange juice

Orange syrup
1 cup(220g) caster (superfine) sugar
2/3 cup(160ml) orange juice
1/3 cup(80ml) water

Combine seeds and milk in a small bowl; stand for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a deep 22cm round cake pan; line base and side with baking paper.
Beat butter, rind and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, one at a time. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; using a wooden spoon, stir in sifted flours, ground almonds, juice and poppy-seed mixture. Spread mixture into pan; bake about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, make orange syrup: using a wooden spoon, stir ingredients in a small saucepan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, without stirring, for 2 minutes.
Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack set over a tray. Pour hot syrup over hot cake; serve warm.

Enjoy...jue
recipe from australlian women's weekly

Comments

Popular Posts