Pandan chiffon cake -2




Lol looks like I'm going green this month...I'm having so much fun baking with pandan leaves (screw pine leaves) that I almost butchered my poor plant.  (I don't use pandan paste for my baking)

I've made my fail proof Pandan chiffon cake many times before but decide to give it another go from this nice blog Domestic goddass wanabe. The only thing I would adjust is the baking time perhaps give it another 10 minutes to get the edges browned.

A few notes: make sure you use large eggs that are fresh and at room temperature.

5 egg yolks
16g caster sugar
33ml coconut oil (you can use any vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon pandan juice
67ml coconut milk
67g cake flour
few drops of green coloring - optional
5 egg whites
67g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

To make the pandan juice, I take about 10 leaves and cut it to small pieces and blitz it with a few tablespoon of water until the leaves are crushed. I sieve the liquid and measure accordingly to the recipe.




Beat together egg yolks and sugar. The mixture will turn a lighter shade after about 3-4 minutes of beating. 

Add coconut oil and continue beating, now add coconut milk and pandan juice.
Add the sifted cake flour and mix until just combined. Set this aside.
In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
Add cream of tartar and continue whisking.
Gradually add sugar, whisking all the time until the egg whites form a stiff peak.
Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk mixture.
Gently fold the remaining meringue into the egg yolk mixture in 2 batches until no streaks remain.
Transfer the cake into a 23 in UNGREASED tube pan and bake at 170°C for 50 to 55 min. If the top of the cake cracks or becomes too brown, place a sheet of aluminium foil over it and continue baking.
Once baked, invert the pan and place it on a raised wire rack (or any other raised device) to cool completely.

Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts