Home-made Flour mix


These days  if I needed self raising flour or cake flour in my baking, I mix em myself.  I find doing this is so much easier and cheaper. So lets get to it and see how I mix my own flours and store it.

For Self Raising Flour

1 cup all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

In a large mixing bowl, measure all  the ingredients and whisk to combine. I tend to mix about seven to eight cups at a time and give it a good mix  and store it in a large Tupperware, label  it and add also the expiration date on it.

For Cake Flour
6 cups all-purpose flour (white or wheat)
12 tablespoons cornstarch
Measure out the amount needed for your recipe. I always measure out 6 cups of all purpose flour.
For every 1 cup of flour remove 2 Tbsp of flour.
Now add 2 Tbsp of Cornstarch for every 1 cup of flour. (replacing the tablespoons of flour taken out).
Sift 5-6 times and it's ready-to-use cake flour. 

For Almond Flour
4 cups of skinned whole almond. 

In a coffee grinder or food processor, grind the almond to a fine crumbs. Sieve the flour and return the coarse bits and pulse it again and sieve.
Store the flour in a tightly sealed container and keep it the fridge else it may be rancid if you don't use quickly.

For Oat Flour ( for all your wheat free recipes)
3 cups of quick oats (not roll oats)

In a coffee grinder or food processor, grind the oats to a fine crumbs. 

Store the flour in a tightly sealed container and keep it the fridge else it may be rancid if you don't use quickly.


I will update as I go.
Jue











Comments

Popular Posts