Sardine Paratel





My husband taught me to cook this spicy Sardine paratel.  Somehow after years of cooking this dish  he still feels I didn't get it.
Hmm...there are times I swear he was enjoying his meal.

Anyway, see the picture above, that non stick pot is by far the best vessel to cook any dish that require a long stove top  cooking time. 
You don't get a burnt bottom!  Believe me,  I've charred dishes, lots of dishes -  especially when I am preparing this sardine paratel.  

Note: I always use Mackerel rather than Sardine (don't ask me why it's called sardine paratel).  I was told that sardine has  fishy smell (duh)  and it  flakes while cooking and tend to be mushy. 

A
3 tbs of cooking oil
2 pips of garlic
1 tsp of fenugreek seeds

Golf ball size of tamarind - dilute in 1/2 cup of water & remove seeds 
2 in of finely sliced ginger
2 green chili - slit lengthwise
Salt and pepper
3 tsp Chili powder - depends of how hot you want it
1/4 cup of water
2 tins of Mackerel 

Optional: fried cubed potatoes

Clean the fish, remove the bone ( you may keep it you wish). Set aside.
In a hot wok, add A and saute till the garlic turns light brown. Add the ginger slices.
                                                        
  
Add the fish and the rest of the ingredients. Stir gently without breaking up the fish. Slow the fire and cover the pot.
Let it cook for twenty minutes till the oil appears to the surface. Be sure to stir it once a while to avoid the gravy sticking to the pot (unless you are using the above pot..ha)
Now is the time to throw in the fried potatoes (if you are using) and give it a good gentle stir.

Check for seasonings and done. Serve with warm rice and preferably with Sothi  (light coconut curry and stir fry  ladies finger - see below for recipes ).

Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts