Red Velvet Cake # 2



I'm not a big fan of Red Velvet Cake despite the raving reviews this cake gets. My sister for one, tires me endlessly about this cake and that prompted me to bake one myself, though I did not use her recipe. 

After meandering through online for a recipe, I found this recipe that was different from the rest and gave it a go.  It has coffee in it and that got me interested.  I love to add coffee in my chocolate cake and I figured this lady knows her cake.

Hmm... I must say after one bite I am converted. 
I now officially like Red Velvet Cake.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoons unsweetened, cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil or canola
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1-2 oz. red food coloring, depends how deep you want the color
1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee (don't skip this ingredient)


Preheat oven to 325.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until combined.

Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.

Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
Generously grease and flour two round, 9 inch cake pans with shortening and flour.
Pour the batter evenly into each pan.

Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools.

Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool.
Cakes are really moist and you may need to refrigerate them to firm them up before stacking and frosting.

Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely.

Enjoy...Jue

Note: To bake cupcakes, bake for 18-20 minutes, checking at the 18 minute mark.
Recipe from Divas Can Cook

Comments

Popular Posts