Rum and Raisins Cake



I can't quite resist Rum and Raisins Chocolate and I am saying this based on the countless bars that I shamefully chomped down in one go. 
Yes, I am quite capable of that!

So when I saw this  Rum and Raisins Cake,  I figured it would be a great treat to have this goodness in a cake. 
What a brilliant idea. 


1 cup (155g) dark raisins
½ cup (120ml)  rum

2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
*½ cup (100g) caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons (84g) unsalted butter, cold but not too firm, chopped
1 cup (260g) plain yogurt
1 egg
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract

Soak the raisins in the rum overnight. I left mine for two days.
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F and prepare a 8in pan.

Drain the raisins, reserving the  rum. 
Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl. Cut in butter until coarse meal forms – I rubbed it in the dry ingredients using my fingertips. Mix in the raisins.

In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, egg, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of rum until smooth. 
Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in mixture. Mix with a fork just until incorporated. Fill the batter in the pan. .

I sprinkled the top with a handful of chocolate chips and toasted sliced almonds. Bake until golden brown or until the skewer comes out clean when inserted.
Yum...this is just what I need. 
* My critics says that the cake needs a wee bit more sugar.

Enjoy...jue
recipe from technicolorkitchen

Comments

Popular Posts