Rye Bread


I've never tasted anything rye...nope!  So when I came across this bread, why not? I asked myself and jumped on it. 
I did some reading on this bread, mostly with sourdough method, which was a bit daunting for me but I opt to use instant yeast for now before I seriously think about venturing to  start a sourdough!

The bread  wasn't bad at all, to my surprise, infect I loved it so much  that I declared it my staple for breakfast.



This bread didn't  rise as much as  I expected but when I sliced  it, I was pretty happy to see a good airy texture and some nice pockets. Best eaten warm with a nice spread of butter. 

A
200g bread flour
50g rye flour
25g whole meal four
10g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant yeast

B
1 tsp honey
170 cold water

C
10g butter

I used a mixer to knead. Pour B in the mixer bowl and add A.  Knead to form a dough, then add the butter and continue kneading until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10min.
Cover the dough in a kitchen towel and let it rest for about 45 min.

It's up to you to divide the dough to two or leave it as one loaf. I suggest you oil your hands first before kneading and molding it to a ball, letting it rest for 10 min.

Flatten the dough to an oval shape and put in on a prepared pan to rest further, about 40 min. Dust some rye flour on top. Cover with tea towel.

Make three slits on the top and bake bread in a preheated oven. 200 deg cel for 25-30 min, depending on your oven. Cool bread before cutting.
Adapted from Alex Goh, the world of bread.


Rye Bread....Take two

Fennel Seed rye bread.



No, not quite done with rye yet! 
A small variation with a big difference.

This is a 50% rye bread, with 12 -14 hour proofing time.
A totally different texture, very dense very compact with a strong earthy taste...perhaps the fennel was a wee bit overpowering for me.

Taste great, but don't take my word, you may differ in your taste.
For the recipe go to Breadtopia.



I shall be back with more rye ...soon I hope. 
The thing is NO ONE even looked at this bread (I mean the home folks) but a scowl on their faces...yah I got it, they hate rye!
  
 Enjoy....Jue

Comments

Popular Posts