Everyday White Bread



Baking bread use to be a daunting experience for me since I didn't have any clue how to work out the recipe or the science behind it.
I can't say I am now a pro but I've learned a bit so far and am able to bake a decent loaf of bread. Today I'm back tracking a little and baking a basic white loaf. 
No doubt it might sound like a pretty simple bread to bake but it was nerve racking compared to the time I baked a Ciabatta!

This white is  soft and light.  I love the crusty top (I purposely over-baked it a little) which tasted similar to a baguette. This one is a keeper and it's gonna be one of  my daily loaf.
I'm using my bread maker  only to knead and proof the bread. 

270g bread flour
30g cake flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
170ml milk
1 tablespoon (about 14g) butter

In your bread machine basin add in milk and butter, followed by the rest of the dry ingredient.
Add the yeast last, away from the salt. (Salt retards the growth of the yeast).

Set to the "Dough" function and the machine will do the mixing, kneading and proofing in 1 hr 30mins
At the end of the programme, remove the dough from the pan. The dough should have doubled in size.  
Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and and punch to deflate it. Knead it for about 5 min.

Roll and stretch the dough and  fold the ends of the dough under so that it is even width and the exact length of the tin. Lightly grease the pan and place the dough in it. Cover and let it proof for another 30 mins, or until double in bulk. 

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degC  for 30mins-35 min.
The bread should be well risen, golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on wire rack before slicing.

Enjoy...jue
Recipe from happy home baking 

Comments

Popular Posts