Homemade tomato sauce



I love tomatoes,  I use them excessively daily  in  my cooking, be it in curries, chicken, salads and sauces...even when I bake breads.
I love making this handy  sauce so much that I  have it stacked  in the fridge and use them whenever I'm making  pizzas and pastas, which is quite so often.

Oil for frying - about 2 tbs or accordingly
chopped - onion 2 big
                  garlic 5 pips
                 carrot 1 medium
                  celery 1 stalk

                 



Fresh herbs or dried ones - rosemary, thyme - 2 tbs
10 medium size ripe tomatoes - roughly chopped or 2 cans of tomato
1 small tin of tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste.
2 bay leaves

1 cup of water


Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.
Add the chopped onion and garlic, sweat it a minute then add the  carrot and celery. Stir continuously  in a low heat for about 5 min till veg are soft.
Add the rest of the ingredients, giving a quick stir. Make sure the heat is low. Cover the pot and let it simmer 20  min. You can blend it if you want a smooth sauce. Done.
Cool it before storing them in the freezer.


If I want bolognese sauce, then I add some minced meat, about 200g, 2c of stock or water and continue simmering and stirring the sauce for another 30 min.  Add a bit more salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts