Snake Gourd with Lentils


This is the first time I'm ever cooking snake gourd. Normally I would avoid cooking gourd plants. I did see my husband eating them in the Indian restaurants yesterday, I suppose that made me want to try out. Nevertheless, I must say it was alright. 


Snake gourd  2 cups chopped
Cooked Toor Dal - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - a generous pinch
Salt - to taste
3 tbs of water

To temper:
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
1 small onion - sliced
Curry leaves - a sprig


Cut open the snake gourds along the length and run your fingers along the pith to clear off the insides and slice them into pieces of 1 cm thickness or so.

In a deep pan, heat the oil and add the ingredients to temper. Once the onion turns soft add
the gourd slices, water with pinch of turmeric. 
Bring the water to a boil and let it simmer until the gourd is tender (for about 7 minutes). Keep a watch so that gourd slices are not mashed. 

Once the vegetable is cooked, add salt and let the gravy simmer for 2 minutes. Add a little water if the gravy gets too thick while simmering. Serve the snake gourd with rice.

Enjoy..jue


Comments

Popular Posts