Lentil Dhalll Curry


Dhall curry's been my must have curry ever since I was little. I remember kicking a fuss at meal time if  it's not on the table. 
When I left home, the first thing I learned was to make this curry and the rest is history.  
There are many version of cooking dhall curry and each household have their own method. I normally like to use few varieties of bean  ie. mysoor dhall, yellow split peas and I find this combo suits my palate.

And I like my curry slightly runny. This versatile curry pairs perfectly with rice or flat-breads, ie thosai or chapati.

A
1/2 cup of mysoor dhall
1/2 cup yellow split dhall
4 cups of water
slices of ginger

B
2 potatoes cut in quarters
1 large carrot  - sliced
2 medium size tomato - quartered
1 brinjal -quartered 
1 green chili - slit to half

C
1/2 tsp each of
mustard seed
fennel seed
2 sprig of curry leaves
1 large onion sliced
3 garlic - chopped

D
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
salt and pepper to taste
  
Place red lentils and yellow split peas into a large bowl  and give it  a good rinse. Place the beans in a pressure cooker and add A.

Keep the flame in medium and let it cook for about 20 min. Gently remove the cover and leave it until its ready to transfer.

In a deep pot, pour three tbs of oil  or ghee and keep the flame to medium.
Add C and cook till the onions are golden in color.

Pour the cooked bean  with an additional two cup of water and add B.  Add D.
Let it boil in a low heat till the potato is tender. 

Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
To serve - Ladle the dhall over rice or serve as a dip for flat-bread.





Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts