Asam Pedas


The first time I tried this dish on our trip to Malacca, I was hooked and ever since that I searched around where I live few hundred km away,  I found nothing similar to that perfect dish, hence here I am trying to replicate it. Well I should say I'm nearly there.

So here's my take on Asam Pedas.

500g of stingray fish
1 tomato -cut into eight wedges
4 sprigs of daun kesum (Vietnamese mint/Vietnames coriander)
5 tablespoons of cooking oil
1 tablespoon of sugar
Salt to taste
1 ginger torch

Spice Paste:
1 clove garlic
1in ginger
1 in fresh turmeric
1 stalk of lemon grass - white part only
4 shallots
10 dried chillies  -depends on how spicy you like
1/2 tablespoon of belacan  (prawn paste)

Tamarind pulp (size of a small ping pong ball) - squeeze in 1 cup of water

                                        


 Grind the spice paste. Set aside.

Heat oil  on a medium heat and fry the spice paste for 10 minutes or until  you see the oil separates from the paste and you can smell the lovely fragrant.
Add the tamarind juice and bring to boil.
Add the tomato wedges and daun kesom , add more water if you see the dish getting too thick and bring to boil.
Add the fish, salt, and sugar.
Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked.

Serve hot with steamed rice.
Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts