Lamb/Mutton curry






Curried lamb is not one of my favorite Indian dish, in fact this is the first time I'm cooking lamb curry. This decision came about when  Mr.R bought some chopped lamb chops from the butcher and the only dish I can think of is lamb curry. Now that we have covered the intro for this curry, let's get cooking.
After tasting this delicious curry, I change my mind...I think I'll cook this again and again. This is a slightly thick gravy.

Just a couple of notes, 
*I ALWAYS use a pressure cooker whenever I cook lamb/mutton. I add 2 tbs of roughly pounded ginger and about 2 cups of water for every kg of meat, chopped into desired size. Cook for about 10 min of the lowest heat, this way it doesn't whistle so much and spill over. 
*Save the liquid.
*I like a good mix of bony pieces and lean cuts whenever I cook and I always trim off any  excess fats and clean up any sinews

A
5 tablespoon of cooking oil
2 Cinnamon stick
2 star anise
4 cloves
4 cardamon pods
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp aniseed
5 medium size red onion
2 sprig of curry leaves

Ingredients for blending with 1c of water
1 whole garlic
1 medium onion
3 green chili
1 in ginger
10 Cashew nuts or almond
3 tbs grated coconut

1kg of pressure cooked lamb/mutton

B
3 heap tablespoon of meat curry powder
2 heap tablespoon of chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
1 tsp pepper
Salt to taste

5 cups of water
2 tbs of yogurt

2 potatoes cut into small quarters
2 tomatoes cut into quarters

1 tsp garam masala


Heat up oil in a large pot on a medium heat and all the spices in A till fragrant, then add the onions and cook till it is soft.  Now add the cooked lamb and give it a good stir.

Blend the ingredients for blending to a smooth paste, add more water if it is too thick. Pour the blended ingredients and stir well. 
All the  ingredients in B goes in and give it a good mix. Add water and yogurt and mix it well. Potatoes and tomatoes goes in next. Cover the lid and simmer for a good 6 minutes. You may add water if you want a slightly thinner curry.

Once the lamb or mutton is cooked, check again for seasonings and add in the chopped coriander, this is optional as well.  Sprinkle garam masala over the curry.


Serve warm with biryani rice or white rice and some cucumber raita. Or you can have it with some naan bread.

Enjoy...jue

Comments

Popular Posts